Welcome to Year 5!
The staff working with your children this year, are myself (Mrs Smith), Miss Cliffe, Mr Topping and our student teacher – Miss Kewley.
The children will also work with other members of staff throughout the year – Dr Helen Mills for well-being sessions, our Spanish teacher Mercedes, Coach Andy for PE sessions and staff from the St Helens Music Service.
Below are a few notices about the following year:
- Children are expected to be in school for 8:45am.
- They should bring their PE kits into school each Friday. They will have time to get changed in school after lunch.
- Please ensure that every item of your child’s clothing has their name on it, to avoid any confusion on PE days.
As part of our home school agreement, we expect children to complete their homework and return it to school on time. This is usually a revision activity that the children have already covered. If your child struggles, please work with them and encourage them to have a go. If they need further help, homework club is available for year 5 on a Thursday after school.
- Monday – English (Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar) – Please return by Wednesday.
- Spellings- the children have five spellings per day to learn at home. They are tested the following morning. A full list of the week’s spellings will be sent home on a Friday with their homework.
- Wednesday – Maths – Please return by Friday.
- Friday – Comprehension – Please return by Monday.
- Reading- This should be an ongoing task each night. The children read daily in school and we encourage this to be the case at home too. At this age, we find that the children have developed their own interests and prefer to read a book of their choice rather than a given text and therefore we are happy for your child to read a book from home or the library. Listening to your child read as often as possible will really help their fluency and asking your child questions about what they have read will aid their comprehension. We will be sending reading records home and we would be grateful if you could write a weekly comment about how your child has read. If your child does not have a book at home, please ask them to speak to me.
- Times Tables and Division Facts – Each week your child will be tested on their times tables and division facts. They will have 30 questions that range from their 1-12 times tables. They have 2 minutes to answer the questions. At this point in their schooling, it is vital that children know their times tables and division facts as it enables them to work much quicker with other aspects of maths.
Information about our year 5 curriculum can be found below. Information about learning in RE has been sent home also. We will also add photographs and updates about the things that the children have been doing in school time. An information section about year 5’s week will also be included on the weekly newsletter which can be downloaded from the school website.
If your child has asthma or any allergies or medical conditions that I need to be aware of please let me know as soon as possible.
At the end of the day, the children will line up at the far end of the playground (near to the nursery playground.) If we are not out of class by the time you walk around, for health and safety reasons, please wait there for the children.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call into class after school or if this isn’t convenient please just ask and we can arrange a time that is.
Thank you for your support,